Things I Do With My Sister

Genna and I, despite being two and a half years apart, are actually pretty close. I think about all of the new and cool things I’ve tried in the past month and how almost all of them are somehow related to her.

In no particular order:

Geocaching is a global scavenger hunt played by strangers through the Internet. People hide boxes, pill bottles, and magnetic hide-a-keys all covered in camouflage duct tape in nooks and crannies with clues as to how to find them. Genna introduced it to me a while ago and while it’s definitely her thing, I enjoy it too. Every time we go to a new city we’ll try to find at least one. Remember how fit everyone got when Pokémon Go went live? Similarly, we’ll walk over 3 miles to find one and log it in the records.

SoulCycle is a cult. Not gonna lie. But the group mentality is actually really comforting. While it is a challenge by choice, having people around you holds you accountable in some sort of way to give it your all. Genna and I have only done a few classes but it’s still a blast as we give each other fist bumps in between songs and lip sync to each other.

Okay, okay, call this one a cop out. It’s not new and interesting, but binge-watching is still something I enjoy doing with my sister. *Film/TV nerd alert here* Whether it’s a quality show or a guilty pleasure we love getting invested in the characters and their relationships. We enjoy having friendly debates over plot lines and themes. We root for the same characters and judge others for their thoughtless actions. We scream at the screen together when we’re left on an awful cliffhanger and know we have to go to bed.

When we go to Jackson every year for the 4th of July, there’s something new to try out. The ATV is standard. I hop on the back as Genna drives us around the Ranch. This year I brought my camera along and clutched it tight to take pictures of herds of cows, the Moore Mine, and my sister in the tall brush. This year, however, a new addition included a drone. As Genna rode around the Ranch I tracked her escapades.

iMovie has this great feature where you can make a trailer for a non-movie and all you have to do is fill in the blanks. The trailer opens with a logo and a company name that you can choose. For years I would label it with “My Room Productions”. Then with the first few films I produced myself I labeled it as a “My Room Production.” After competing in the 48 Hour Film Project as “My Room Productions” Sydney Loew was able to create an official logo for me and with it I decided to use it as my branding for all of my artistic endeavors. My graduation present was a nice camera that I can shoot video and take stills with. Genna and I have been around to some really cool places like the Stanford Cactus Garden to have photoshoots. Together we edited my first reel and created my official website www.myroomproductions.com!

I got my first real job! I am working as a theater camp counselor down in Mountain View. Despite being 18, I still can’t drive. And that’s perfectly okay. Genna, who is 16, loves driving — which translates into: she will drive me around. We have this fun tradition where I’ll get off of work, she’ll pick me up, and as we hit the freeway rush traffic, I’ll play the addictive trivia game HQ (on both our phones/1 person-2 phones) so Genna can listen and help too. We get so excited over the little things, like maybe winning $1.50 and getting the right answer when we completely guessed on it.

All in all, I have a great time with my sister and I love her and all the things we do together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and The Gap Year Girl

Life On A Hilltop

Hello from Ecuador!