Life On A Hilltop

"Hey Kelly, this is Chris. By the way, Grace is dying."

Here are some things you should know:
1. I have been suseptible to massive nosebleeds since I was a child.
2. Ecuador is hot, dry, and at a high altitude.
3. Madison and I´s homestay is at the very top of a very long and very steep hill (but honestly it feels like a mountain during each hike). It´s about a 20 minute walk from the center of town/the school where I work.

Before the nosebleed story, let me tell you about our homestay family and life on the hilltop.

Madison and I live with mother Zoila, father Rafael (though he´s an engineer and works all day so we rarely see him), 16-year-old daughter Paula, 11-year-old daughter Luz Clarita, and 1-year-old grandson Nicholas. We honestly couldn´t have been placed with a better family. We call each other sisters, they teach us to dance, we help with homework, together we clean the kitchen, feed the guinea pigs, ducks, and giant pigs (believe me when I say giant. I´m positive these pigs could swallow me whole), and walk down the hill to school.

Zoila makes and sells her own guava-flavored merengue so on the day we met she brought us to the San Jose de Minas bullfighting ring to watch while she sold the merengue as a snack (we helped puree the guavas).

Paula and Luz are both in high school, this is where I´ve been assigned to help teach English. It´s also where, during our first meeting with the head of school, blood started to drip and then proceeded to gush out of my nostrils.

I was rushed to the urgent care, Gabi by my side and Chris with his camera filming the whole thing (gotta love those film kids). I save you any more details.

It should be noted that I have encountered a few more nosebleeds (though not as bad) as well as a couple of my friends. This is what life on a hilltop is all about.

In my next post, I´ll add some pictures of the gorgeous view we encounter during our treacherous hike back home.

I can´t wait to tell you about our teaching experience and even more about my incredible homestay family.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great start to the adventure. Looking forward to the pics, especially of Madison and your new sisters. Also great that you are getting some forced exercise. Do you think this will get you ready for your trek in Peru?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Greg:
    Hi Grace, Love to hear about your trip. I guess lying on your back for 20 minutes doesn't get rid of the nosebleed (with a cold washcloth on forehead). I imagine Cuzco will be even higher. I have heard Quito is awesome. Keep writing...I enjoy reading it.
    Love, Uncle Greg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and The Gap Year Girl

Hello from Ecuador!