I Am Moana

It started with the fact that I live on a boat. No it’s not a raft like she uses but I am using lines to sweat sails like she does. We take watch periods in a cycle - 4 hours on 8 off - and whenever you get a clear night watch you can see a million different stars in the sky.

My watch team leader Dan and fellow watch team member Jack are both really into Celestial Navigation and so I’ve learned a lot about the stars from them. One of my new favorite constellations is Scorpio. Scorpio’s tail is the Greek equivalent of the Polynesian Maui’s Hook.

So yes, I Am Moana.

A rundown of things:
-our mains’l boom broke... uh oh
-we swam crossed the Equator!
-we visited St. Helena, Fernando De Noronha, and Devil’s Island
-we are now in Barbados about to start island hopping
-we are about to start learning how to SCUBA dive
-we’ve been taking classes on Marine Bio, Oceanography, Seamanship, and Leadership (I have my seamanship oral final tomorrow... wish me luck)

We had a prom on Argo. Going to an all girls school for seven years, homecoming was not a thing - so you can imagine how excited I was when I was not only promposed to but also then voted Argo Prom Queen.

Keep checking the SeaMester blog for updates! #som2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and The Gap Year Girl

Life On A Hilltop

I'm Going On A Gap Year!