Global Investigator Trip 2: Return To Guatemala

When we last left off our heroine, Grace, was flying away from Guatemala with her coffee beans in hand never to return. Little did she know fate would bring her back to San Juan la Laguna on her Gap Year adventure. This is... Global Investigator Trip 2: Return To Guatemala

Okay, that's a bit dramatic but it's not a bad title for a jam-packed, action-filled sequel.

Here's the low down: I came to Guatemala and San Juan la Laguna for my Junior year Global Investigator Trip. For a number of reasons, it was not the best trip and I promised myself that of all the places in the world I would never EVER go back.

While looking at Gap Year Programs I specifically avoided all and any trips that went to Guatemala. The original TBB plan looked a little more like this: Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, DC. A little ways into the summer I got an email saying that Bolivia had been switched to Guatemala and more specifically to San Juan la Laguna.

So here we are three days in to our month-long stay and I am happy to say that so far coming back has been a good idea. Yesterday was Dia de Todos Los Santos and today is Dia de Los Disfuntos so we haven't started work. So far my new roommate, Ellie, and I have relaxed in coffee shops, spent time weaving with our new family of father, Diego, mother, Filomena, 17-year-old daughter, Viviana, and 16-year-old, Jessica, visited the cemetery, and had a whole group seminar on sustainable agriculture.

When we do start work we'll be placed into 4 or 5 groups and rotate among the farms: corn, coffee, avocado, horticulture, and natural cotton dyes. In my next post I'll let you know how the work is going. I imagine it'll be hard, but ultimately worth it.

Lastly, shoutout to my amazing parents who just celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and The Gap Year Girl

Life On A Hilltop

Hello from Ecuador!